Skip to main content

Beyond Beef Garbanzo Ragu

I'm a foodie so I'm trying all the new plant-based crumbles, which are becoming so widely available.  To be honest, I'm not yet sold on the idea, because the highly processed nature of these foods concerns me.  But on the other hand, I am all for exploring and understanding through experiment, if and where these foods might have a place.  So for now, I'm substituting ground meat for these crumbles in various dishes to see what gives.

I have to say I am reasonably impressed with the texture and flavor.  But don't kid yourself - its NOT meat and does not taste like it.  But it browns well and has a satisfying toothy texture.  Still somehow I feel compelled to extend with chick peas; don't know why.

This ragu is made with Beyond Beef plant-based crumble (I use the word crumble because it is not a ground meat).  I'd give this an A but not an A+.  Worth a try.


1 lb Beyond Beef plant based crumble
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary (or thyme), minced
dash crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
8 oz favorite pasta - I used large shells

Parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat a dash olive oil in a medium pot.  Add the Beyond Beef crumbles and brown well.  Add the garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper flakes, and cook another 2-3 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and cook for about 5 more minutes to darken the paste and develop its flavor.  
Add the tomatoes and the chick peas, and enough water to make a nice sauce.  
Bring to a gentle boil, stir and reduce to a simmer.  Cover and cook about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring two quarts well salted water to a boil in a pot for the pasta. Cook the pasta until al-dente.  Drain pasta.  Plate the pasta covered with the rags.  Garnish with parmesan cheese.

Serves 4.


Cook’s Note: I served this plant-based rage with broccoli sautéed with mushrooms and crushed red pepper flakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Umami Beef Short Ribs Samin Nosrat

This is the penultimate prep for beef short ribs.  Based on the superb documentary by Samin Nosrat, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, this is the most umami rib dish you will ever have.  Its the combination of red miso and soy sauce that marinates and flavors the beef - give it a long time to work right - that means overnight in the fridge; it's worth the planning ahead. 6 beef short ribs on the bone, about 3-4 lb 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, diced 1 jalapeño pepper, minced 4 cloves garlic, halved Marinade: 1/4 cup red miso 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup pale dry sherry or Mirin rice wine 1 Tbsp sesame oil 1 Tbsp honey 2 cloves garlic, minced Salt the ribs generously with coarse salt and let rest overnight in the refrigerator in a resealable plastic bag. Whisk together the marinade.   Pour into the plastic bag and allow to marinate on the counter for about 2-3 hours, or again overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat...

'Back-of-the-bag' King Arthur Oatmeal Bread

This is one of the best loaves of bread I have ever made, based on a famous recipe.  Friends swear about King Arthur recipes, and now I do too.  I only modified King Arthur's recipe slightly, adding the yolk of the egg I used for the eggwash on the crust. Goes great with a big pot of bean soup.  And it toasts up so nicely - aroma therapy for the whole house! 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour 1 cup old fashioned oats 2 tsp active dry yeast 2 Tbsp honey 1-1/2 tsp salt 2 Tbsp butter, finely diced 1 egg yolk 1-1/4 cup lukewarm (about 100F) milk 1 egg white plus 1 Tbsp water about 1/4 cup old fashioned oats for topping Mix ingredients to a firm but still tacky dough.  You’ll have to adjust the final amount of dough to the humidity of your kitchen and flour - err on the sticky side for a lighter, moister loaf.  Knead dough 5 minutes.  Roll dough around in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise an hour. ...

Haddock Roasted with Aioli and Tomatoes

This is a simple yet suculent way to roast fish. Here I use haddock, but you could use most any fish including cod or tilapia, or as I did on the west coast, wild-caught Rockfish (delicious). The tomatoes offer a fresh flavor complement to the fish slathered with a rich aioli topping. This is a quick, easy way to prepare fish on a busy weeknight. 1-1/2 lb haddock fillet (Captain’s cut preferred - thicker), patted dry Aioli: 1/4 cup good real mayonnaise 1 tsp Dijon mustard 1 Tbsp favorite hot sauce 1 pint grape tomatoes 1/2 tsp dried dill weed Fresh parsley, minced, for garnish Lemon wedges for garnish Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a medium baking dish (about 7x10-inch). Lay haddock fillet in dish. Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and hot sauce in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, cover the fillet evenly with the aioli sauce. Toss the tomatoes with a dash of olive oil and scatter them over the fish. Season with dill and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Bake fish for about 20 mi...