Skip to main content

Lamb Barley Stoup

Every season I stock our daughter's freezer with a lamb soup or stew. Rachael Ray calls a thick soup or a thin stew a 'Stoup'. Thank you Rachael for this new wedge word. I make this at least four times a year and it is a bit different every time, and always wonderful. So, I will keep posting each. Use what you have (that's what I do) and enjoy comfort food! 

Avoid prepared food with 70 or more (questionable?) ingredients. This has 12. Make your own.


1 large onion, peeled and diced

3 medium carrots, peeled and diced

4 stalks celery, diced


1-1/2 lb lamb (raw or leftover from a roast, I used the latter), diced 1/4-inch


3 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbs fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely minced


1/4 cup pearled barley

1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, undrained

1 quart broth, chicken or beef, (I used home-made bone broth)

1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes 


1 large potato (I used Yukon Gold), diced just larger than 1/4-inch

2 cups green beans, sliced 1/2-inch (I used Trader Joe’s frozen, thawed)


Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in a dash of olive oil, in a large pot or Dutch oven.  Cook for about 8-10 minutes over medium heat until the veggies begin to soften.


Add the lamb and cook until browned well. Add the rosemary and garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.


Add the barley, beans, stock and tomatoes, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce to a bare simmer, and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while.


Add the potato and cook another 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add the green beans and cook another 5-7 minutes, just until crisp-tender.


Serves about 6-8. 


Cook’s Notes: You can use any meat or grain to make this concoction. Make it with what you have and love and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Umami Beef Short Ribs Samin Nosrat

This is the penultimate prep for beef short ribs.  Based on the superb documentary by Samin Nosrat, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, this is the most umami rib dish you will ever have.  Its the combination of red miso and soy sauce that marinates and flavors the beef - give it a long time to work right - that means overnight in the fridge; it's worth the planning ahead. 6 beef short ribs on the bone, about 3-4 lb 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, diced 1 jalapeño pepper, minced 4 cloves garlic, halved Marinade: 1/4 cup red miso 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup pale dry sherry or Mirin rice wine 1 Tbsp sesame oil 1 Tbsp honey 2 cloves garlic, minced Salt the ribs generously with coarse salt and let rest overnight in the refrigerator in a resealable plastic bag. Whisk together the marinade.   Pour into the plastic bag and allow to marinate on the counter for about 2-3 hours, or again overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat...

'Back-of-the-bag' King Arthur Oatmeal Bread

This is one of the best loaves of bread I have ever made, based on a famous recipe.  Friends swear about King Arthur recipes, and now I do too.  I only modified King Arthur's recipe slightly, adding the yolk of the egg I used for the eggwash on the crust. Goes great with a big pot of bean soup.  And it toasts up so nicely - aroma therapy for the whole house! 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour 1 cup old fashioned oats 2 tsp active dry yeast 2 Tbsp honey 1-1/2 tsp salt 2 Tbsp butter, finely diced 1 egg yolk 1-1/4 cup lukewarm (about 100F) milk 1 egg white plus 1 Tbsp water about 1/4 cup old fashioned oats for topping Mix ingredients to a firm but still tacky dough.  You’ll have to adjust the final amount of dough to the humidity of your kitchen and flour - err on the sticky side for a lighter, moister loaf.  Knead dough 5 minutes.  Roll dough around in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise an hour. ...

Haddock Roasted with Aioli and Tomatoes

This is a simple yet suculent way to roast fish. Here I use haddock, but you could use most any fish including cod or tilapia, or as I did on the west coast, wild-caught Rockfish (delicious). The tomatoes offer a fresh flavor complement to the fish slathered with a rich aioli topping. This is a quick, easy way to prepare fish on a busy weeknight. 1-1/2 lb haddock fillet (Captain’s cut preferred - thicker), patted dry Aioli: 1/4 cup good real mayonnaise 1 tsp Dijon mustard 1 Tbsp favorite hot sauce 1 pint grape tomatoes 1/2 tsp dried dill weed Fresh parsley, minced, for garnish Lemon wedges for garnish Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a medium baking dish (about 7x10-inch). Lay haddock fillet in dish. Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and hot sauce in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, cover the fillet evenly with the aioli sauce. Toss the tomatoes with a dash of olive oil and scatter them over the fish. Season with dill and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Bake fish for about 20 mi...