Skip to main content

Pantry Pasta Primavera

These days when I make a pasta primavera, I keep the veggie to pasta ratio over fifty percent - this is no exception.  Sequestered at home because of COVID-19, I am using whatever I have on hand.  And I am reminded how much I love cabbage as a veggie in a dish like this. This oil chock full of veggies I had on hand in my fridge and pantry.

I had some leftover browned Italian sausage and leeks from a chicken Galentine I recently made, which dressed up this dish enormously. You really almost can't go wrong with this dish - just use what you like and what you have. And if you want to go vegetarian, just leave out the sausage.


1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage
1/2 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
1 leek, cleaned and diced plus 2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp fresh thyme eaves
palmful fresh mint leaves
3-4 fresh sage leaves

1/3 lb ziti

2 cups green cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 carrots, sliced on a bias
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 15 oz jar artichoke hearts (I used Kirkwood marinated, but also really like Trader Joe’s grilled marinated)
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
3 mini sweet peppers; red, yellow, orange, sliced
1/4 tsp coriander powder

fresh parsley leaves for garnish
Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish

Bring a pot of well-salted water to the boil for the pasta. Mince the herbs and garlic by pulsing in a small food processor.

Brown the sausage and fennel seeds (if using) in a large wide skillet.  Remove the sausage to a bowl.  Add the leek and water to the skillet and let the leeks sweat and soften, stirring often as the water evaporates.  Then add the butter and allow the leeks to cook until soft and aromatic.  Add the minced herbs and cook 2-3 more minutes.  Remove leeks to the bowl with the sausage.

Now add the cabbage and remaining veggies into the skillet and sauté until the veggies just become crisp-tender, about 5-8 minutes.
Be sure to add a dash of olive oil if the veggies dry out too much. Season with coriander, and salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the pasta in the water until just al dente.  Reserve a half cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta well. Add the sausage and leeks back to the veggie mixture and heat through.
Add the pasta to the veggie mixture in the skillet and a dash of the reserved cooking water just to make a nice glossy sauce.
  Tip mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.

Serves 4-6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Umami Beef Short Ribs Samin Nosrat

This is the penultimate prep for beef short ribs.  Based on the superb documentary by Samin Nosrat, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, this is the most umami rib dish you will ever have.  Its the combination of red miso and soy sauce that marinates and flavors the beef - give it a long time to work right - that means overnight in the fridge; it's worth the planning ahead. 6 beef short ribs on the bone, about 3-4 lb 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, diced 1 jalapeño pepper, minced 4 cloves garlic, halved Marinade: 1/4 cup red miso 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup pale dry sherry or Mirin rice wine 1 Tbsp sesame oil 1 Tbsp honey 2 cloves garlic, minced Salt the ribs generously with coarse salt and let rest overnight in the refrigerator in a resealable plastic bag. Whisk together the marinade.   Pour into the plastic bag and allow to marinate on the counter for about 2-3 hours, or again overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat...

'Back-of-the-bag' King Arthur Oatmeal Bread

This is one of the best loaves of bread I have ever made, based on a famous recipe.  Friends swear about King Arthur recipes, and now I do too.  I only modified King Arthur's recipe slightly, adding the yolk of the egg I used for the eggwash on the crust. Goes great with a big pot of bean soup.  And it toasts up so nicely - aroma therapy for the whole house! 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour 1 cup old fashioned oats 2 tsp active dry yeast 2 Tbsp honey 1-1/2 tsp salt 2 Tbsp butter, finely diced 1 egg yolk 1-1/4 cup lukewarm (about 100F) milk 1 egg white plus 1 Tbsp water about 1/4 cup old fashioned oats for topping Mix ingredients to a firm but still tacky dough.  You’ll have to adjust the final amount of dough to the humidity of your kitchen and flour - err on the sticky side for a lighter, moister loaf.  Knead dough 5 minutes.  Roll dough around in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise an hour. ...

Haddock Roasted with Aioli and Tomatoes

This is a simple yet suculent way to roast fish. Here I use haddock, but you could use most any fish including cod or tilapia, or as I did on the west coast, wild-caught Rockfish (delicious). The tomatoes offer a fresh flavor complement to the fish slathered with a rich aioli topping. This is a quick, easy way to prepare fish on a busy weeknight. 1-1/2 lb haddock fillet (Captain’s cut preferred - thicker), patted dry Aioli: 1/4 cup good real mayonnaise 1 tsp Dijon mustard 1 Tbsp favorite hot sauce 1 pint grape tomatoes 1/2 tsp dried dill weed Fresh parsley, minced, for garnish Lemon wedges for garnish Preheat oven to 375F. Oil a medium baking dish (about 7x10-inch). Lay haddock fillet in dish. Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and hot sauce in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, cover the fillet evenly with the aioli sauce. Toss the tomatoes with a dash of olive oil and scatter them over the fish. Season with dill and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Bake fish for about 20 mi...