I make homemade bone broth regularly from bones of whole chickens I roast, stored in the freezer until soup day - about four chickens. But even store-bought broth will produce a fine result with all the other love and fresh ingredients you put into this soup! It's the perfect homeopathic relief from the sniffles.
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1 shallot, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
2 Tbsp fresh thyme, pulled
1/2 lb kielbasa, diced
4 cooked boneless chicken thighs (I used leftovers from yesterday’s grilling), cubed
1 cup cooked ham, cubed
2 quarts chicken bone broth (ideally homemade)
2 cups fresh kale leaves, diced
1/4 cup pearled barley
2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, diced (I leave skins on)
1 cup frozen petite peas
Sauté the carrots, celery, onion, shallots and kielbasa in a few tablespoons olive oil in a large soup pot. Add a dash of salt (about 1/2 tsp) and cook until the veggies begin to soften and slightly brown. Season with pepper to taste.
Add the garlic, sage, rosemary and thyme. Cook for about another 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Watch to not brown the garlic (it will become bitter).
Add the chicken, ham, broth, kale and barley, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest simmer and stir. Cover and cook another 30 minutes.
Add the potatoes and stir. Cook covered for another 15-20 minutes, just until the potatoes become soft to the tip of a sharp knife.
Add the peas and heat through.
Makes about 3 quarts soup.
Cook's Note: As you have perhaps heard me say time and time again, make this your own. Use whatever veggies and meat and beans etc., you have on hand and you love. This is your own work of art and will differ every time you make it.
I often don't limit the bones to chicken, but other bones I freeze along the way.

Comments
Post a Comment